Schedule of Events for Battle Weekend
Friday, August 16
- 5:00 PM The Kids Encampment organized by local fourth and fifth graders will open to the public.
- 7:00 PM The Friends of the Bennington Battlefield and New York State Parks will host the annual commemoration of the Battle of Bennington. The program will include DAR and SAR representatives and students from Hoosick Falls as well as an artillery salute. The ceremony will take place near the flagpole.
Saturday, August 17
- 11:00 AM Park Ranger Eric Schnitzer of the Saratoga National Historical Park will present on his new collaboration, Don Troiani's Campaign to Saratoga - 1777: The Turning Point of the Revolutionary War in Paintings, Artifacts, and Historical Narrative. A limited number of copies of the book will be available for purchase. The program will be held in the Caretakers House (30 Caretakers Road, Hoosick Falls, NY).
- 3:00 PM Bennington Battlefield will have an information table at the Battle of the Pies held at 423 Main Street in Bennington, Vermont. Buy a slice of pie, with milk, ice cream, and/or cheese, or all four! Judging will take place at 4:00 PM.
Sunday, August 18
- 10:00 AM Tours of the battlefield will be available on the hour until 4:00 PM to interested visitors. Groups will meet under the flagpole.
- 12:30 PM The Friends of the Bennington Battlefield will march in the annual Battle Day Parade in Bennington, Vermont. Public to line up on downtown Main Street. The parade will run from Main & Safford Street to Depot Street, North on Depot Street to River Street, River Street to the Fire Station.
Contact David Pitlyk, 518-860-9094 with any questions. For more information on the festivities in Vermont, click here.
Other Events in August:
Wednesday, August 28, 6:00 PM at Brown's Walloomsac Taproom, the battlefield discussion group will discuss Eric Schnitzer's Campaign to Saratoga- 1777.
Saturday, August 31, 12:00 PM The battlefield will host Volunteer Day at the Tory Fort. We will be arranging small logs at the Tory Fort. Work gloves are recommended. Refreshments will be served to participants. Parking will be available on the grounds of the Barnett House (30 Caretakers Road, Hoosick Falls, NY).